[governance] Russian reference to sheep eating men at WTPF

Farid E. Ben Amor fbenamor at gmail.com
Wed May 15 11:19:06 EDT 2013

For those that may have also been confused by the Russian delegation's
reference to "sheep eating man" in his explanation of their contributions
to Draft Opinions 5 and 6, it is apparently a line from Thomas More's
Utopia:

BUT yet this is not only the necessary cause of stealing. There is another,
which, as I suppose, is proper and peculiar to you Englishmen alone. What
is that, quoth the Cardinal? forsooth my lord (quoth I), your sheep that
were wont to be so meek and tame, and so small eaters, now, as I heard say,
be become so great devourers and so wild, that they eat up, and swallow
down the very men themselves. They consume, destroy, and devour whole
fields, houses, and cities. For look in what parts of the realm doth grow
the finest, and therefore dearest wool, there noble men, and gentlemen, yea
and certain Abbots, holy men no doubt, not contenting themselves with the
yearly revenues and profits, that were wont to grow to their forefathers
and predecessors of their lands, nor being content that they live in rest
and pleasure nothing profiting, yea much noying
1<http://www.bartleby.com/209/55.html#note55.1> the
weal public, leave no ground for tillage: they inclose all into pastures,
they throw down houses, they pluck down towns, and leave nothing standing,
but only the church to be made a sheephouse.

A very interesting note on the enclosing of the commons, and relevant to
other discussions on this list, though I don't know that separation and
censorship of a national segment will prevent the sheeps' predation of man.