[governance] Fwd: [igf_members] MAG Renewal

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 15 06:05:28 EDT 2013

In message <20130515083057.GA8918 at hserus.net>, at 01:30:57 on Wed, 15
May 2013, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes

>>While I was working with RIPE NCC, I always found it interesting that
>>several technicians working in the deployment of their national
>>academic networks would self-identify as "government" (rather than
>>"ISP"), on the grounds that the network was owned by the government.
>
>Not particularly odd when you consider that the academic network personnel
>would get their paychecks from the government, report to a ministry
>bureaucrat, have government job titles and pay scales ..

But when their presence gets published under "government", and most
people looking at the statistic assume that "government" means regulator
or GAC-type person, confusion can arise. Just as some assume that there
will be mainly network engineers and professors in the "Technical and
Academic community" roll.

Of course, one way that governments can participate in ICANN, other than
by sending people to the GAC, is by sending their technical people to
some of the other silos. (They could send GAC-type people to other silos
too, but it seems they can usually only justify the trip by having a
whole silo of their own, and I fully understand the dynamic of that).
--
Roland Perry