[governance] More (yawn) regulatory swing doors... US FCC...

Riaz Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed May 15 04:23:03 EDT 2013

Thanks Norbert.

MS certainly is an innovative approach. However to your categories we must
add the issue of deliberative multistakeholderism... where it is not just
the contest of interests - bargaining - but reasoned argument -
deliberation - so as to harness the diversity of views to maximise success.

That MS does not take this imbalance, formal equality has its limits, as
real is a concern - particularly since BigCorporates organise at this level
as well - it is not a matter of excluding them, but ensuring systems to
ensure that this assymetry of power is dealt with through democratic
countermajortarian principles. But with legitimacy treated lightly, the
prospects of this seem dim.

Then there is the fetish with inclusion. It is not regarded as ambivalent,
but always good. Sometimes in democratic process exclusion may be
preferable, for eg those who refuse to participate (as different from
engaging with) in ICANN.

Just some thoughts...

Riaz