[governance] WTPF

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Wed May 15 03:00:24 EDT 2013

Hi,

the WTPF - so far - moves forward in a rather uncotroversial way. There were no big conflicts in the general discussion and the first two opinions were adopted more or less without any big discussions or amdements. It remains to be seen what happens with the two opinions on EC and MS. The most controversail proposal comes from Russia but it is unclear whether the Russian delegation will present it and fight for it. Another proposal comes from Brazil but this is less controversial and the Brazilians want to water it down and to move towards consensus. Discussion on those two opinions will start this afternoon. \

More critical is WSIS 10+ and here in particular the discussion of a "beyond 2015" strategy. This is prepared in closed meetings among governments (ministers only) and in closed UNGIS meetings. UNGIS has meanwhiole about 30 members. It has published a joint statement but there is no procedure in place how the non-govermnmental stakeholders interact with  this group of intergovernmental organsiations. We flagged this yesterday in a traditional Geneva Type CS lunch at the cafe in the CCIG (like in the "good old times") and we have started to talk to IGO people how this can be changed. There are some open plenaries about 2015+ so it is not too late. But we should start (within the IGC) to develop a "Strategy Paper"how we see the "Beyond 2015" plans. Waiting until Sharm el Sheikh, where the WSIS 10+ high level meeting takes place next spring, would be too late.

Wolfgang