[governance] [igf_members] MAG Renewal

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 14 13:16:22 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 08:42 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
> My congratulations to those chosen from all stakeholder groups to the MAG.
>
> One observation however, based on a summary review of the list provided by
> Bill--of the five individuals selected to the MAG to represent CS, all are
> women and 4 of the 5 are from Latin America or the Caribbean.
>
> I'm assuming that the UN in its wisdom (appropriately) applied criteria to
> ensure gender and regional balance; however, rather than applying these
> criteria within each stakeholder group they appeared to apply these to the
> MAG as a whole; which given significant longstanding gender and regional
> biases in other of the stakeholder groups, evidently resulted in the rather
> odd absence of representivity within CS including an absence of
> representation from Africa, Europe and North America among other anomalies.
This is what the WG on IGF Improvements sought, and I quote from its
report.....

(a) The three non-governmental stakeholder groups should propose lists
of candidates that should be balanced, including in terms of gender
distribution and in reflecting the diversity of geographical
distribution. This will enable a wide range of diversity within the MAG,
especially those groups which have been underrepresented in the MAG, and
be sufficiently large to provide some flexibility when selecting MAG
members.

(b) Stakeholder groups should identify and publicize the process that
works best for their own culture and methods of engagement and which
will ensure their self-management.

(c) The contribution of lists of proposed candidates for each
stakeholder group should not be restricted to one particular body.

(a) The process of selection of MAG members should be inclusive,
predictable, transparent and fully documented.

(ends)

The required transparency and documentation condition have not been
fulfilled till now.... IGC must urgently write to UNDESA and IGF
secretariat to do the needful, at the earliest. If CS isnt the one
demanding fulfilment of transparency requirements I dont know who will...

parminder