[governance] Digital restrictions management in HTML standards

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat May 11 12:08:49 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
>
> > I also like to think that we should at least try to get an IGC
> > rough-consensus on this.  Let's not give up on that without trying.
>
> Would you be willing to draft a text proposal?

Before we draft text, let's discuss the issue first.

Here is the w3c "oped" on it:

http://www.w3.org/QA/2013/05/perspectives_on_encrypted_medi.html

"Different publishers use the Web differently, some choosing to make
content available free of charge, others preferring to control access. Most
people would agree that individuals and institutions in general should have
the right to limit access to proprietary information, or charge for access
to content they own."

is the crucial bit here...is the CSIGC against folks limiting access to
stuff they own?

For the record, I am playing devil's advocate here, am not supporting any
position yet.

--
Cheers,

McTim