[governance] How to address political economy issues? (was Re: Internet as a commons/public good)

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sat May 4 10:44:10 EDT 2013

Hi,

I support the view Norbet puts forward. And I believe the IGC can achieve rough consensus on advocacy for many civil society positions and proposals.  And I see no harm in putting out signatory based statements when rough consensus can't be found.

Personally I could even line up behind advocacy on some, maybe even many, issues on social and economic justice. But they have been forward in such a caustic way of late there is no way I, personally, will align with those proposals, or encourage their proponents.

I see Bestbits as a way to bring together people who focus their efforts in a variety of groups.  As such it makes sense as a signatory group.  IGC is a group of individuals not an aggregator of civil society groups as Bestbits is attempting to be; and I believe that if we ever leave the era of bullying we will once again be able to find rough consensus in IGC on many progressive topics.

parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

><snip>
>> Talking and articulating positions can be done here, even if the
>> resulting statements do not reach consensus or rough consensus.
>>
>> If there is a desire for IGC to set up an infrastructure for
>developing
>> advocacy statements beyond what IGC is able to agree on by consensus
>> or rough consensus (I'm thinking of sign-on statements that would
>> have the support of some subset of the IGC members), I don't see any
>> reason why that couldn't be done. In fact this might be the best
>> possible interpretation of what the IGC mission statement says about
>> providing a forum for advocacy.
>It is fine if this is the interpretation of what IGC is, not much of an
>
>advocacy group but a kind of an open platform or forum for civil
>society
>groups. And I am increasingly inclined or maybe resigned to this
>perspective. But that still begs an organised constituency and group at
>
>the global level that can systematically deal with Internet governance
>issues pertaining to social and economic justice. This is the gap that
>spoke about in my previous email.
>
>parminder
>

>> Greetings,
>> Norbert