[governance] To Start to Answer Avri's Question: The Technical Community as "Steward" of the Internet

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Mar 30 04:34:54 EDT 2013

In message <005601ce2cb2$c4716650$4d5432f0$@gmail.com>, at 12:22:23 on
Fri, 29 Mar 2013, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes

>But mostly I'm disappointed in the lack of any clear articulation of
>precisely what the "Technical Community" sees as their role and values in
>relation to "Enhanced Cooperation"

There has been quite a lot published in this regard. In particular the
CSTD asked a specific list of ITC organisations to submit their remarks,
which were then circulated in a report. This was before the CSTD
appeared on many people's radar as a venue for debate, and perhaps
things have moved on. Others can comment on that.

Disclaimer: Today, I am not a representative of the NRO, but I was when
the documents below were published, and I did attend the CSTD back then.
The reports remain on the record.

viz: two reports mentioned in paragraphs 4 & 5 here:

http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/a66d77_en.pdf

The NRO also produced a pamphlet:

<http://www.nro.net/news/continuing-cooperation-the-nro-and-internet-
governance>