[governance] CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation : Update (plus MS on Wikipedia)

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Fri Mar 29 15:25:34 EDT 2013

All,

I was delighted to see civil society's selections made for the Working
Group on Enhanced Cooperation. I don’t think 5 better people could
represent us. Not only were the civil society choices most excellent,
but the broad acceptance of the multistakeholder governance model
demonstrates positive democratic inclinations.

But while we’ve managed to make these selections in a basically open and
transparent manner, as compared with some other stakeholder groups, I
believe we (Civil Society) need to set the standard for transparency and
accountability: we must seek to be on the side of the angels, above
criticism, setting and following a standard that we should encourage
other stakeholder groups to follow.

A 90 minute IGF workshop is a step in the right direction. But a broader
plan to establish an open, transparent, and accountable process for
selecting civil society representatives in a timely, thoughtful, and
democratic process is needed. Some months ago, while enmeshed in yet
another rushed NomCom selection process, I suggested we needed to
improve our act, possibly by coordinating our activities with other
civil society players. Today I again call for such a process and invite
others to join me in exploring ways this might be achieved.

Best,

Thomas Lowenhaupt

P.S. I started a rudimentary Multistakeholder Governance Model
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistakeholder_Governance_Model>page on
Wikipedia. With the increasing acceptance and awareness of MGM, and
Wikipedia increasingly the start page for new (and news) inquiries, I
expect this page to become dog eared. So let’s make it “the” definitive
page for defining and presenting the Model.

Notes to non-Wikipedians... 1. All (or most all) of the disagreement
about the scope and definition of MGM in Wikipedia should take place on
that entry’s corresponding Talk page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Multistakeholder_Governance_Model>(which
is currently empty). 2. Those who have suggestions, but don’t have the
time or inclination to dirty their hands with MediaWiki code, feel free
to send me your suggestions for contributions. I’ll either include them
in the definition or present them on the Talk page. Other editors might
of course have their own opinion.