[governance] Spamhaus

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Thu Mar 28 08:33:37 EDT 2013

> Suresh, I know this is a topic you're expert on.  Would be good to hear more
> about how blacklisting/blocklist services work. If those of you in the business
> think there should be changes made to how blocklists are operatred? (and
> other mechanism? If there are "other"?)

As someone who manages several email servers  I have some experience with DNS block lists. Spamhaus is very easy to deal with if you accidently get listed. Due to the way some ISPs allocate static IP addresses it is very easy to get on a block list. I have never had a problem getting a client that was accidently put on one of the Spamhaus lists removed. They have an automated process for doing this. Some other lists, SORBS in particular, can be very hard to get an IP address removed if the reason for being on the list is because the ISP has not told them the IP address is not dynamic. With most DNSBLs there is a process to get removed that can take a few hours to a few days. With a few the process is much harder and you need to get your ISP involved. This can take several weeks which can definitely impact a business, especially if the DNSBL provider is used by a major email provider like Microsoft or Yahoo.

Kerry Brown