AW: AW: [governance] Tallin Manual - a Cyber Warfare convention?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 27 06:39:20 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 27 March 2013 02:10 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> Parminder:
> A UN CIRP (Committee on Internet related Policies) as a space for cross cutting discussions on all Internet related policy issues, in a manner that is more transparent and has better multistakeholder participation.
>
> Wolfgang:
> I disagree. To move it from one governmental body to another governmental body is not the solution and a CTRP has too many risks for collatoral damages. My proposal would be to bring those issues to the IGF agenda (both to the Bali IGF as well as to the regional IGFs in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Africa etc.). The Tallin Manual is a good justification to bring more light into the darkness of those discussions. We could start (like in the GGE) to discuss "confidence building measures" and to  move forward to the hidden issues of the risk of a new cyber arms race and its implocations for a free, open, secure and borderless Internet.

Sure. And what happens after the IGF has discussed this issue?

I remain very unclear here. At the CSTD WG on IGF Improvements, India
proposed strengthening the IGF including giving some kinds of
recommendations (which would still have required some bodies to take up
and work on these recs), and you were a member of the WG. Not many
showed much enthusiasm for that proposal. You said it is good enough if
IGF produced messages, which are a set of short lines that can be many -
and different ones for the same issue. Now, please tell me how such
twitter-ish messages can solve the very real-life matters of life and
death that many have pointed out in the discussion on 'Tallin's Manual'
on cyber warfare?

And also why when you participate in CoE and OECD processes, you never
recommend that these rich and powerful countries' groups should abolish
their inter-governmental councils that do the real work, and rely
instead only on open discursive forums for all policy work? Please be
explicit. Why do such recommendations surface only when developing
countries seek an equal place at the global policy table?

parminder