AW: [governance] Fwd: Final composition of the CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 27 03:04:26 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 26 March 2013 10:03 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> Hi
>
> congratulations to the selected CS members, however I am very surprised to see two CS reps from Asia (Joy & Parminder) but nobody from Europe (the proposal from the focul point was Bill). Any explanation for this unbalanced selection?

Wolfgang

Apart from the fact that your experience and engagements in this area
will qualify you to be a part of any such group in any case, I make the
following point purely about geographic distribution of CS (civil
society) membership of the group and your claim of 'unbalanced selection'.

You may have noted from the CSTD Chair's initial note on forming this WG
(working group) that it considered five regional areas as follows:
Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, 'Latin America and Caribbean' and 'Western
Europe and other states'. For the membership of the 'Western Europe and
other states' category see http://www.un.org/esa/govwest.htm .

Now if we go by this categorisation - there is one from Africa, one from
Asia, none from Eastern Europe, one from 'Latin America and Caribbean'
and two from 'Western Europe and other states' (Avri from the US and Joy
from New Zealand).

So, no, New Zealand is not in Asia, and there is no over-representation
from Asia. (BTW Asia has close to 60 percent of world's population). In
fact over representation is from 'Western Asia and other states' group.

However, the Chair seemed to have followed the above five region formula
only for governmental representation and for civil society he asked
simply for 3 from developing countries and 3 from developed, to choose
the final 5. Now that you raise the issue, I am not entirely sure if I
agree with the civil society focal point having forwarded a slate of 8 -
with 3 from developing countries and 5 from developed. That is what can
more clearly be called as 'unbalanced selection' i think especially
since among the 20 people who applied there were a lot of good names
from developing countries. BTW, I dont  know whether the imbalance came
from the 6 names that emerged out of the 'selection committee process'
or from the 2 additions to these names done by the focal point.

parminder