[governance] US Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 #Internet Sales Tax

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 26 03:21:55 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 26 March 2013 03:14 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
> US Senator Durbin's speech on why the Marketplace Fairness Act is
> important:

If market fairness regulation is important across states of the US, why
such a regulation is not required across countries? (Is it just because
in that case the net flow is so much in favour of the US?)

As Riaz pointed out recently, when US regulates it is *not* Internet
regulation but if anyone else, in order to protect their socio-economic
interests, proposes so, it is a direct attack on Internet freedom!! And
everyone knows what role global IG civil society has been playing in
supporting such hypocrisy. It should be obvious that a global Internet
requires global regulation.

Whether it is cyber warfare, or collection of due taxes that are needed
to run governments and as redistributive mechanisms, things seem all to
point in one direction - Internet needs global governance, that is
democratic, equitable and just,. And for this first of all we need an
appropriate global IG architecture. And for God's sake CIR management is
*not* global IG, it is an very small part of it.

We we really take on a good thorough discussion on the appropriate
global IG architecture that the world needs - which incidentally is the
subject matter of the recently constituted CSTD Working Group on
Enhanced Cooperation.

Can I propose that the co-coordinators look at the possibility of
starting such a discussion

parminder