[governance] Blogpost: Multistakeholderism vs. Democracy: My Adventures in "Stakeholderland"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 24 02:34:00 EDT 2013

David,

Very much agree. The purpose of MSism (multistakeholderism) should first
be clear (because the method also depends on that) - basically to 'make
public policy' or to obtain greater engagement of all affected parties
in development of public policy. The two are different things. However,
and I have raised this question often here, those who most solidly
profess MSism have generally not been forthcoming in this matter. (And
to clarify, 'technical policy making' within narrow pulbic policy
defined remits is to be seen as different from larger, substantive
public policy making.)

Only after we know about the purpose can we come to methods. But as you
have seen from the recent conversations, there is reluctance to discuss
even the 'methods' by upholders of IG variety of MSism. And yes,
democratic ideals and norms remain the ulitimate test to evaluate both
the purpose and methods.

parminder