[governance] Blogpost: Multistakeholderism vs. Democracy: My Adventures in "Stakeholderland"

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Mar 22 03:39:41 EDT 2013

And perhaps as a starting point, Nnenna's email from a few days ago.

Adam

"The discussion, I think, has started. It might have taken off in a
not-very-comfortable way, but it certainly cannot be killed off now.

In many "CS"-related issues now, my ready answer is "Thanks, but no,
thanks". And mostly because of  the lack of clear principles on
methodology.  We have been in this "process" for 10 years (at least
for some) and we still have not adopted principles for selection and
for representation.

The time for that discussion is right.  We may not get a full
consensus, but at least a partial one will help future "focal points".
 Were it not for discussions, we would not have a Charter as a group.

Having been in a lot of "focal point" and representative "positions"
for Africa Civil society, I can only say that a 3, 4, or 5 principles
document, that has been discussed and has met a level of consensus
here will be VERY helpful.

My thoughts are that we need to discuss methods for:

1. Informing on and disseminating opportunities/positions/calls. For
the CSTD, I actually had to tweet that I have been impressed by the
way Anriette and the APC group shared the information. I cannot say if
it because I am in so many mailing lists with APC folks.. but I can
tell you that there was a "a clean, clear and determined decision to
disseminate information".

2. Understanding of "developed and developing" nations. One may be
tempted to follow the UN categories... but in the case of Internet and
IG issues.. Global Information watchdogs may want to differ.  I would
love to hear others on this though

3. Gender mainstreaming. How do we ensure this in representations.
Should we discuss a minimum quota?

4. Older vs newer blood. This is perhaps the most critical dilemma
that any "xyz selection team or focal point" may face. Are we going to
have the same faces (albeit with a greater tinge of gray) all the
time? How do we strike the balance between getting newer/younger
people to follow in our paths while maintaining legacy? What
orientation mechanism in process, issues and manners  around IG issues
can we put in place to help people who will arrive "after us" to be
able to follow. Most selection are looking for "qualified" people...

5. What will be the better  choice in the cases where a choice must be
made between experience and representation, or between experience and
opportunity for growth?

6. Is there a certain limit (at least in the case of IG-related
issues) to which an individual can "represent civil society"? When can
someone say "we" and when does it need to be "I"? Will representation
always be synonymous with "people who can travel and be there
physically"?

7. How does "CS" curb what is beginning to appear to me as "an extreme
need to be selected" in which I see certain names in almost anything
that has "selection, representation and travel" attached to it?

8. ..... many more...:)

Nnennna "