[governance] Blogpost: Multistakeholderism vs. Democracy: My Adventures in "Stakeholderland"

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Mar 22 02:11:45 EDT 2013

They are meaningful.

The question is -

1. How meaningful are they compared to "other" processes and events

2. How do we broaden the audience?  You do acknowledge these are quite open processes

I know that Diplo does a lot of capacity building in this area - but there's always scope for more organizations to step up and do this.

Then the question of funding / time commitment for more people to participate in this space.

Else - I've seen you, Parminder, David Allen, Milton Mueller etc around since well before WSIS - and how many new people do we see enter this process?

In business and technical community events there's a fairly steady turnover because companies support their employees to travel and participate there, and if someone quits and moves on - while he or she will probably turn up at the next meeting wearing a different name tag, there is quite likely to be an additional person attending the conference - this individual's replacement.  [though not infrequently, someone who was already attending from a different company might turn up as the replacement, so the level of turnover isn't as high as it could be, but it does exist]

In civil society - at least in this little corner of civil society - there is a much, much lower turnover than that.

--srs (iPad)