[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Mar 19 13:12:58 EDT 2013

Hi again

Responding to my own message is a bit unusual, but the mail volume today is such that I've seen my reply of an hour ago needs an update--

On Mar 19, 2013, at 5:08 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mar 19, 2013, at 4:54 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>
>> I fully support the third proposal.
>
> Such a proposal is already in the works, has sponsors etc.  So no worries.

As in I am proposing a workshop on Internet/telecom convergence and global IG in the post-WCIT context.  APC is co-organizer, ISOC a co-sponsor, invites out to one and maybe more government, etc.

>> For the first one, we need to be clear on scope.  Net neutrality is too vague a concept and has undergone considerable change from its early days of evolution when the talk was about CLECs, unbundling etc.  It has also got itself inextricably confused with an extreme form of the privacy debate that includes objecting on general principles to ISP logging of user activity and deep packet inspection, both of which are part of a security architecture.
>>
>> As for the second one - no, for multiple reasons discussed during this thread.
>
> As framed and in context it sounds like something IGC would probably end up having to do solo rather than in partnership with the other SGs.  Is that what CS wants to do in Bali?

Very happy to see that ICC and ISOC are on board and Anriette et al are moving this forward as a cooperative venture.

Bill