[governance] Workshops proposals for IGF was Re: [] COMMENTS SOUGHT: ...

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 19 09:08:11 EDT 2013

Here is the workshop proposal

1.      Workshop working title  (max 60 characters):

'Traditional telecom regulations/institutions and the Internet'

2.      Concise description of broader thematic area of interest (max
500 characters):

Whether traditional telecom regulations, norms and institutions apply to
the Internet or not has been a controversial subject. Much of WCIT
revolved around this subject. This issue is also playing out at the
national level in many countries, with telecom regulators unclear about
application of traditional communication related rules and norms to the
Internet. The specific issues here range from content related regulation
to net neutrality and universal access.

3.      Concise description of specific issues or policy questions to
be addressed (max 500 characters):

a) Does traditional telecom regulations, norms and institutions apply to
the Internet or not?

b) If they do not apply, how should traditional norms of communication
infrastructure like common carriage (net neutrality), universal access,
emergency communications etc get applied to the Internet, or is there no
need to do so?

c) Whether they do apply or not, or partially apply, what changes of
frameworks, institutions, participation processes are needed, both at
the national and global levels?

Indication of workshop format:

Yes to be worked out, but also proposed that a main session be organised
around this policy question, and alternatively have a workshop plus
round table.