[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Mar 18 04:56:45 EDT 2013

In message <7983EDD82CDB43649208C4E42798744F at Toshiba>, at 16:02:56 on
Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> writes
>But perhaps it is the academic community who may wish to respond. If
>their right to representation is decided by someone effectively outside
>their group who makes having been an internet pioneer a precondition
>for selection, they have a right to feel disenfranchised. Perhaps this
>marriage of technical and academic needs to be separated, with each
>choosing their own smaller set of representatives

I'm reminded of when I used to arrange government-facing activities at
RIPE meetings (which was later identified as "Enhanced co-operation"),
and attendees at those meetings would self-identify into various
categories.

It always surprised me to find people whose jobs were running the
academic IP networks sometimes self-identifying themselves as
"Government", on the basis that they were working for a
government-funded organisation.

Another way of looking at them was as "public sector ISPs". And
actually, a few were lawyers (rather than engineers) too; but there's
also such a thing as a pioneering IP lawyer - right at the heart of
Internet Governance.
--
Roland Perry