[governance] CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Mar 17 20:28:11 EDT 2013

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I had the bandwidth I would write up a recall petition as his
> accusation of "a human rights violation" is WAY beyond the pale!

A procedurally easier process to potentially achieve an equivalent
result would be to make a formal appeal against my decision to
speak out against what at least in my eyes is a clear human rights
violation (specifically, someone appointed by the Chair of the UN
CSTD has been trying to deny M.G., who has been adversely affected
by how a particular administrative process was conducted, the right to
question whether that process in fact conforms to the relevant UN GA
resolution, and by implication M.G.'s right to an independent and
impartial review of this question and M.G.'s associated rights and
obligations, in violation of UDHR Art. 10) without first taking the
"coordinator hat" off.

If such an appeal were to be successful, it would lead to my immediate
resignation from the co-coordinator role.

I would not want to have that kind of role in a "Civil Society Caucus"
where human rights are not valued highly enough that it is quite
generally accepted when Caucus coordinators insist on them, even when
doing so is politically inconvenient, for example as in this case
because it concerns people whom I and many other Caucus members would
very much have liked to have as allies.

By the way, in regard to the accusation of me being "politically tone
deaf": I have been worried about the potential of this situation to blow
up ever since Jeremy's first posting on this subject, and I have tried
to communicate with Constance Bommelaer privately with the goal to
clarify her understanding of the phrase "technical and academic
community" (unlike in the GA resolution and in the CSTD chair's "Note on
Composition and Guidelines" for the WG, in the "Focal Points" document,
possibly unintentionally, the singular is used - on the basis of the
information that I had available at that time, it was reasonable to
start from the assumption that the issue could be the result of a
misunderstanding), in order to double-check the assertion of this
having been interpreted in a way that excludes non-technical academics,
and then (in a second step) to hopefully help resolve any
misunderstanding in a way that would not be damaging to relationships.
She has chosen not to respond to me, but instead two days later she
sent that (in my eyes at least) rather offensive message to Anriette
with Cc: to us and to the "business community focal point", to which I
have replied. A copy of my initial email to her (to which I did not
receive any response) is provided below.

Greetings,
Norbert