[governance] CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 12:15:53 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 17 March 2013 06:22 PM, parminder wrote:
>

> However, on Michael’s issue ;
>
> 1. I have no idea why are you, and some others,  being deliberately blind to
> the fact that Michael applied to the academic community part of the
> 'technical and academic communities' and not the technical community part.
>

> And of course, Adam, you want to take *no note* of the fact that the
> criteria Constance gave us which ISOC applies to chose reps from 'technical
> and academic community' which is, and I quote
>

> "it referred to the community of organizations and individuals who are
> involved in the day-to-day operational management of the Internet and who
> work within this community"
>
> simply and completely removes any academic representation, altogether.

No, it doesn't.

Are you forgetting all the REN folks perhaps?  All the Academics who
take part i IETF activities/RIR activities? (For the record the
European RIR came together by a group of academics, mostly physicists,
and was supported by TERENA for several years).

So no
> academic rep at all in the 'tech and academic community'!!! Does it not
> sound strange?

It would if it were true, but since it is untrue..

 I bet it would to anyone, other than, perhaps, those just too
> committed to certain causes and interests.... So, without ceremony ISOC
> simply sweeps away all and any possibility of due academic representation
> that WSIS and UN GA asked for, and we all are expected to keep quite because
> ISOC are our friends . That sounds very very strange to me.

sounds strange to me as well, mostly because it is not true.

> The ISOC criteria in fact also removes all the technical people who may not
> be managing "day-to-day operational management of the Internet " in the
> employment of a few organisations that we all know. And I know so many
> technical people who should be considered in 'technical community' and whose
> expertise should be used by UN bodies, but who do not work for an ICANN or
> ISOC, IETF or RIRs. (Including those who have never been in civil society,
> so no 'constituency shopping' excuse can be used in their case)

These bodies (and others) have spent Millions of USD/Euros on
"Enhanced cooperation over the last few years.  Having staff dedicated
to the UN/ITU processes, opening up inter-governmental WGs in their
own processes, giving Fellowships to their meetings to government
types, supporting the IGF financially, etc, etc.  The T&A folk are the
only ones committed to EC in this way.  I suggest we let their experts
use their considerable expertise in EC, and not whinge because we
don't like they way they select these experts!

> This cannot be a one sided redefinition of a category which fills as many
> places as the whole of civil society does in policy related bodies. And
> those who want to debate this issue cannot be reduced to some kind of mean
> petulant people who have nothing better to do than raise controversies.

You seem to have done this all by yourself to speak frankly!

 This
> is an important and central issue of multistakeholderism, ad we have a right
> to discuss it here and communicate our views on the matter.

Happy to discuss, not happy that we have communicated a non-consensus
position to ISOC, as Norbert has done down thread.

If I had the bandwidth I would write up a recall petition as his
accusation of "a human rights violation" is WAY beyond the pale!

> MSism will the biggest loser if we refuse to construct the needed norms,
> principles and rules for it.

These were constructed and have been practiced for decades by the T&A folks.

>And here we refuse to even discuss them.

We are discussing them.

--
Cheers,

McTim