[governance] CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Mar 17 11:13:06 EDT 2013

[I'm writing this email in my role as a co-coordinator of the Civil
Society Internet Governance Caucus, i.e. "with coordinator hat on".]

Constance Bommelaer <bommelaer at isoc.org> wrote:

> For this reason I am also sending a copy [..] to the Civil Society
> group.

Thank you for that; this is very much appreciated.

> Mr Gurstein’s application was assessed in light of the same criteria
> and his name was not retained. We fail to understand why he appeals
> to the Chairman of the CSTD and tries to question our procedures. Up
> until February 2013, he considered himself being part of Civil
> Society and spoke as one of its leaders and representatives at the
> recent WSIS+10 meeting.

Let me first point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong when an
academic becomes a highly respected member of a civil society group,
and when some consider him a leader (civil society is so diverse that
no-one can reasonable expect to be considered a leader of civil
society as a whole).

Having been involved in the selection of the civil society nominees for
the recent WSIS+10 meeting, I would like to further comment on what
you have written above.

Mr. Gurstein is a non-technical academic. At the recent WSIS+10 meeting,
there was no process available for non-technical academics to apply for
nomination for a speaking slot on the basis of representing a community
of non-technical academics.

The only way in which he could therefore be considered and potentially
accepted was as a civil society nominee.

By contrast, in the UN General Assembly resolution that contains the
decision to establish a Working-Group on Enhanced Cooperation
(A/RES/67/195), “technical and academic communities” is recognized as
an explicit stakeholder category, and consequently the Chair of the
CSTD has appointed a corresponding “focal point”.

I personally thought this to be a very positive development, and an
appropriate recognition of the important work of the various academic
communities.

> I do believe, however, that unsuccessful
> applicants in one process should not engage in “constituency
> shopping”

Mr. Gurstein did not “engage in ‘constituency shopping’”.

He simply selected, in each case, among the available processes the
one that would reasonably appear to be the best fit to his particular
situation.

> and question the entire process.

By denying his right to question the process, you have just committed a
human rights violation.

> The Tunis Agenda identified the technical and academic community as a
> separate sub-group. De UN de facto recognized it as a separate group
> and always asked ISOC to coordinate the selection process. It is
> understood that the definition contained in the Tunis Agenda can be
> discussed; new groups could even appear tomorrow. However, the
> context was clear and it referred to the community of organizations
> and individuals who are involved in the day-to-day operational
> management of the Internet and who work within this community.

I find it absolutely astounding that you have chosen, in this
roundabout way via the Tunis Agenda, to interpret the term “technical
and academic communities” of the UN General Assembly resolution that
contains the decision to establish a Working-Group on Enhanced
Cooperation (A/RES/67/195), to mean “community of organizations
and individuals who are involved in the day-to-day operational
management of the Internet and who work within this community”.

Please note in particular the plural “communities” in the UN General
Assembly resolution and the singular in your interpretation.

Greetings,
Norbert Bollow
one of the coordinators of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus