[governance] "civil society" (was Re: COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Mar 17 03:52:54 EDT 2013

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the purposes of this list however, any one who subscribes
> to the IGC charter is de facto CS, no?

I strongly disagree.

The IGC charter presupposes that the term "civil society" has some
meaning independent of the action of "subscribing to the IGC charter".

Since (perhaps unfortunately) there is nothing in the charter that
would provide information on what this meaning of the term "civil
society" should be taken to be, I would suggest that the reasonable
interpretations are:

a) For the purposes of the IGC, there is no normative definition of
what is "civil society". Everyone should personally form an opinion
of what it means in their view, and act accordingly.

b) For the purposes of the IGC, the meaning of the term "civil
society" is to be determined by exegesis of the WGIG documents.

c) For the purposes of the IGC, the meaning of the term "civil society"
is to be determined by how the term was interpreted in context of the
WSIS accredition processes.

Greetings,
Norbert