[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Mar 16 11:56:57 EDT 2013

In message <F2D3BDE0-753B-4BA5-8194-E50E419A86DD at uzh.ch>, at 11:06:34 on
Sat, 16 Mar 2013, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> writes
>It'd be great if each SG had clear and principles-based definitions and
>boundaries, but instead we're dealing with self-defined tribes.
>Conflating the 'technical' and the 'academic' communities into one
>category just triples down on the problem.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but do outsiders assume that
the "academic" part of that stakeholder group are the people responsible
for building out the Internet to Universities?

eg JANET in the UK and TERENA in the Netherlands which talks about
"fostering the development of Internet technology, infrastructure and
services to be used by the research and education community."

In other words the equivalent of the private sector ISP rather than
users of the connectivity who also happen to be more interested in law
than particle physics?
--
Roland Perry