[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Mar 16 04:17:02 EDT 2013

Am Sat, 16 Mar 2013 10:05:43 +0800
schrieb Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>:

> Following on from discussions in the main thread on this topic (I'm
> starting a new thread to improve visibility), I have quickly drafted
> a letter that outlines the concerns that a number of us have
> expressed:
>
> http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/isoc-letter
>
> You can make changes in-line, or you can make comments using the chat
> pane on the right hand side.

Thanks, Jeremy, for moving this discussion forward by means of a
concrete proposal.

My immediate thoughts are that I'd strongly prefer to keep the following
three aspects separate:

1) Whether a very big part of the academic community was excluded by
how the "technical and academic community" focal point interpreted the
phrase "technical and academic community".

2) Whether it is good and appropriate to have a separate selection
process (or selection processes) for "technical and academic community"
representatives, and who such a selection process (or selection
processes) should be primarily accountable to. (With "primarily
accountable" I mean the specific accountability system that should be
in place or should be put in place, so that the general accountability
of all governance processes to the general public will only need to be
activated if that specific accountability system fails to function
appropriately.)

3) General concerns of good process, transparency and accountability in
selecting stakeholder group representatives.

I think that any letter we send at this stage should focus on aspect 1.

Regarding point 3, I strongly feel that our (the civil society) process
was not very good either. Running a formal NomCom and then pretty much
throwing away the result is *not* something that we can hold up as a
good example if we want to have any credibility. So issue 3 needs to be
addressed, but in a much more humble manner. And I think that it's good
to treat it separately, because it's both less urgent and a more
difficult topic.

Greetings,
Norbert