[governance] COMMENTS SOUGHT: draft letter to ISOC on selection of T&A nominees for CSTD WG on EC

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Mar 16 01:37:22 EDT 2013

That brings up an interesting question.

How many technical people in civil society do we currently have here? [never mind wider and narrower ranges of experience]

Nick Ashton-Hart, McTim, Jeremy, me .. I can think of maybe a handful more.  Add people with a dual technical / policy background (Bill Drake, George Sadowsky ..).

Many of us identify with civil society because it is a common cause [for the most part].

There appears to be a much larger number of caucus members that are public policy people, political scientists, economists, grassroots activists .. not very many of whom have hands on technical experience. And there appear to be sharp ideological differences between at least some of these people versus the technical community - which McTim pointed out.

--srs (iPad)