[governance] CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation : Update

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Mar 15 06:26:54 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> I quote below
> the relevant parts from the report of the CSTD Working Group on
> Improvements to the IGF.
>
> (quote begins)
[..]
>         (b) Stakeholder groups should identify and publicize the
> process that works best for their own culture and methods of
> engagement and which will ensure their self-management.
[..]
> (quote ends)

Civil society definitely needs to do an important bit of homework in
this area.

Thomas Lowenhaupt suggested a while back to set up some kind of joint
board of the various leading civil society meta-organizations which
would be able to carry out such selection tasks in a way that would
avoid the problem of IGC running a full-fledged NomCom process only to
have the result partly or (as happened in the case of the CSTD WG)
almost totally ignored at the next step of the selection process.

I would suggest that it is time to revisit this idea, and also think
about whether there are other possible solutions to this problem.

Greetings,
Norbert