[governance] China's next-generation internet is a world-beater - tech - 10 March 2013 - New Scientist

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 14 02:12:40 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 13 March 2013 08:31 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi P
>
> On Mar 13, 2013, at 1:57 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>
> You've made clear that you have an issue with industrialized
> countries, especially the US, engaging in bilateral, regional, and
> plurilateral agreements.  Although I've never been clear whether the
> fact that developing countries also do this bothers you as well…India
> for example is in lots of exclusionary FTAs, and not with the great satan.

Bill

All 'agreements' where unequal power is leveraged to obtain unequal
gains bother me. Later in the email you speak of India-Bangladesh
example... Of course there is the 'big brother' problem vis a vis India
in the sub continent. When I was last in Bangaldesh I was shocked to see
the local TV mostly full of Indian soap opera. To me the extent of
domination of these programs appeared too culturally invasive. I later
heard similar things about Sri Lanka. I would support any steps these
countries would like to take to limit cultural imports from India to
safe guard their respective cultures (btw, very penitently, now there is
a UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of
Cultural Expressions, which shows the value of multilaterlism in such
situations). And I would resist if India seeks to use its market size
and such allurements to browbeat these countries through FTA kind of
agreements to act in ways that, what these countires otherwise feel, are
really harmful to their national public interest...

parminder

> <snip>
>
> While I favor multilateral to small-n solutions for problems that are
> truly global in scope,

Internet is truly global in scope, and so must ne its governance..