[governance] China's next-generation internet is a world-beater - tech - 10 March 2013 - New Scientist

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 13 04:42:53 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 13 March 2013 01:31 PM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> <snip>
> I did, indeed - and I noted that many historians took issue with many
> aspects of the storyline too. Even Lincoln admitted that freeing the
> slaves was a deliberate policy choice which helped increase the
> manpower available to the North while causing disruption in the South
> due to the incentive it gave to the slaves to rebel and/or run away.
>
> All this does not diminish the achievement or the statesmanship - but
> it perfectly illustrates my point, that major shifts in human legal
> frameworks are preceded by major shifts in society or general warfare
> - not anticipated by them.

1. Enough structural changes have happened because of the Internet, and
the directions of more are relatively clear, for it to be what the
European Commission's Vice President a few years back called as the
emergence of a 'constitutional moment' in relation to IG. Council of
Europe held a workshop at an IGF with ' 'constitutional moment' in its
title.

2. Enough number of times historically big political texts got done in
anticipation,  and in fact led to shaping of societies, as some may have
followed events.

3. It is not only an issue of what generally happens, but what is
desirable; do you really think that in global IG space political
agreements should follow crises rather than anticipate them? Civil
society takes up forwarding looking issues, positions and roles, it is
not just in the business of cynical historical interpretations that deny
our collective agency, and general good nature.

parminder