[governance] Re: [IP] U.S. Demands That China End Hacking and Set Cyber Rules - NYTimes.com

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 15:59:14 EDT 2013

Tks Adam,

It may be worth quoting the specific passages where Internet issues are
raised.

Another such issue is cyber-security, which has become a growing challenge
to our economic relationship as well. Economies as large as the United
States and China have a tremendous shared stake in ensuring that the
Internet remains open, interoperable, secure, reliable, and stable.

Both countries face risks when it comes to protecting personal data and
communications, financial transactions, critical infrastructure, or the

intellectual property and trade secrets that are so vital to innovation and
economic growth. It is in this last category that our concerns have moved to
the forefront of our agenda. I am not talking about ordinary cybercrime or
hacking. And, this is not solely a national security concern or a concern of
the U.S. government.

Increasingly, U.S. businesses are speaking out about their serious concerns
about sophisticated, targeted theft of confidential business information and
proprietary technologies through cyber intrusions emanating from China on an
unprecedented scale. The international

community cannot afford to tolerate such activity from any country. As the
President said in the State of the Union, we will take action to protect our
economy against cyber-threats.

>From the President on down, this has become a key point of concern and
discussion with China at all levels of our governments. And it will continue
to be. The United States will do all it must to protect our national
networks, critical infrastructure, and our valuable public and private
sector property. But, specifically with respect to the issue of
cyber-enabled theft, we seek three things from the Chinese side.

First, we need a recognition of the urgency and scope of this problem and
the risk it poses-to international trade, to the reputation of Chinese
industry and to our overall relations.

Second, Beijing should take serious steps to investigate and put a stop to
these activities.

Finally, we need China to engage with us in a constructive direct dialogue
to establish acceptable norms of behavior in cyberspace.

We have worked hard to build a constructive bilateral relationship that
allows us to engage forthrightly on priority issues of concern.

And the United States and China, the world's two largest economies, both
dependent on the Internet, must lead the way in addressing this problem.

Only peaceful, collaborative and diplomatic efforts, consistent with
international law, can bring about lasting solutions that will serve the
interests of all claimants and all countries in this vital region.

.

That includes China, whose growing place in the global economy comes with an
increasing need for the public goods of maritime security and unimpeded
lawful commerce, just as Chinese businessmen and women will depend on the
public good of an open, secure Internet.