[governance] who owns the new gTLDs?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 23:40:03 EST 2013

Guru,

you misconstrue (or misunderstand my position:

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Guru गुरु <Guru at itforchange.net> wrote:

<snip>

> Apart from international taxation issues, there are several other aspects as
> mails on this thread have mentioned - the need to have diversity of
> ownership of GTLDs vs the current extreme concentration,

Is this a need or a want?

 rules of how the
> gtld 'owners' will deal with requests for domain names with those gtld
> extensions including support for multilingual features etc etc

I don't understand what you mean here, but I suspect that would be
under the new RAA from ICANN.

> You say " perhaps it is time for an IGO to take this in hand... or perhaps a
> new MS body? " Thanks for acknowledging that there is a need for issues like
> these (we call it 'public interest issues'_ to be dealt with beyond the
> current 'ICANN' structures

I did not mean in the IG arena (which I think you understand very well).

I meant that if people are upset about large companies doing the
"double-Dutch-Irish" whatever, then those ppl should go off and do
something about it, but it's nowt to do with Internet Governance.

> can you elaborate how this new body would be accountable and effective in
> addressing the problems of concentration of ownership and other public
> interest issues

I am not an expert in int'l taxation.  There are lots of folks who
know more about it than I do on this list, and about IGO's and how
they make rules for int'l corporations.

I do know however that it's not an Internet Governance issue, it
(international taxation) has been around for a very long time, there
are lots of non-Internet companies who have been practicing this kind
of tax avoidance for donkeys years, and just because some Internet
companies are now doing it doesn't make it a IG issue.

--
Cheers,

McTim