[governance] who owns the new gTLDs?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 05:58:36 EST 2013

Hi Guru,
>Who should take care of the public interest aspects, if you
think ICANN
should not do it? What is your view?

Thank you for your interesting question, ICANN has the capacity to
look after the public interest, but as it has established monopolistic competition of new gTLDs by the support of business constituencies, the
community support initiatives or cause has been overlooked and completely
disregarded. Public interest was ignored (first time) when the huge cost of the
new gTLD application was announced. Again when a fund was established for
community support instead of allowing them a nominal fee. Public interest and
developing economies were neglected when the awarenesscampaign was launched primarily in the key market
area/citiesof
developed economies, where $750,000 of awareness campaign were spend.

Have you checked that how much gTLDs were applied by a single company TLDH (perhaps belongs to ICANN’s Ex-Chairman)
Now what is the cost to initiate an objection, it is affordable to the
individuals or CSO from DE or LDC.ICANN has defined a mechanism to initiate objection through IO
(Independent Objector) but he is answerable to ICANN Board or GAC to initiate
or not any objection in public interest. If IO does not perform his role, no
one will lead to proceed the objection.
BR

Imran