[governance] Tangential / Is Copyright Infringement Now Seen As Terrorism?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Mar 5 01:45:17 EST 2013

On 5 March 2013 9:45:31 AM Diego Rafael Canabarro wrote:

> The mere fact of storing that classified information makes the computer part of the "critical infrastructure of a country"? How to deal with the fact that R&D in the US is heavily conducted by contractors? Are the computers of RAND, Lockheed Martin, and Raytheon part of the critical infrastructure of the US? And if those computers are located abroad?

Diego -

  The new cyber security directive may (or may not) have significant implications for
  unclassified systems which are considered potentially "critical infrastructure" (even
  privately owned/operated)  but as far as I am aware, it doesn't meaningfully change
  obligations for systems which contain USG classified information, as there have
  always been significant controls which govern such systems and which contractors
  have been obligated to comply with at all times regardless of the system location.
  (Reference: USG DoD Regulation 5200.1, Dec 1997 or updated 5200.1-R, Feb 2012)

  The typical corporate computers and networks of contractors and researchers are
  highly unlikely to contain classified information (as there is a formal process involved
  in getting approved for such and they are kept isolated from unclassified and Internet
  connections) so this really isn't any meaningful expansion of scope by the new cyber
  security directive (at least with respect to classified systems.)

FYI,
/John