[governance] who owns the new gTLDs?

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Mon Mar 4 23:26:14 EST 2013

Avri,

thanks for sharing this inofrmation and in particular the considerations of the group you are in for assessing the gTLD outreach program.

What is the reason people are sure the program failed? The small number of gTLD applications from developing countries and to the JAS support?

If so it seems that the group is assuming that "failure of outreach" is the only explanation for that small number, while many others can also be at work (simultaneously as this is most likely a multifactor phenomenon.) Lack of interest in speculative domain-name business, small number of global brands and then within these small number of companies who think owning a brand gTLD is a good investment, lack of market (either from a "seat of the pants" estimation, from market research, or from experience and analysis with ccTLDs and existing gTLDs, a preference to invest capital in less uncertain businesses which are more immediately available... quite a bunch.)

We should all remember Occam' (or Ockham's) razor, but also we should remember that it works best when held by the handle, not by the sharp side.

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org