[governance] who owns the new gTLDs?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Mar 4 18:03:30 EST 2013

McTim [2013-03-05 02:36]:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Diego Rafael Canabarro
> <diegocanabarro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "The application process is open and we do have developing country
>> applications to some extent."
>>
>> That, per se, cannot be taken as a measure of fairness and equality in the
>> process, can it? Especially in the context of path dependent effects that
>> favor incumbents (North American) ICT firms. No surprise at all, but it
>> doesn't mean that these self-reinforcing trends shall not be object of
>> policy-making, does it?
>
> I would be happy to hear your suggestions on realistic policy
> proposals that would have changed these outcomes.

I would be happy to hear your suggestions on this very same issue too,
McTim.  Or is there nothing whatsoever objectionable about North
American companies dominating the gTLD space?  C'est la vie (et le
fonctionnement du marché libre)?

And whatever happened to the differential developing country gTLD
application rates that I heard about at one point (and seems to be
mentioned in the minutes of one ICANN meeting), but seems to have
disappeared again?

Cheers,
Pranesh

--