[governance] Report from the IGF Open Consultations in Paris

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Mar 2 02:56:26 EST 2013

Hi Norbert

On Mar 1, 2013, at 5:32 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> For several reasons there is no need to describe in detail what was
> said. On one hand the transcript has already been posted.

+1

> On the topic of choosing the overall theme for the Bali IGF, a
> somewhat unpleasant surprise was sprung on us in the form of Markus
> starting the discussion of this topic by asking whether or not to
> leave this choice open until after the workshop proposals have come
> in.

Sorry you felt unpleasantly surprised, but this was proposed by APC/IGC members and enjoyed broad support.

> The suggestions of our caucus to have a human rights oriented overall
> theme and a subtheme on principles have resonated strongly with many
> other interventions in the debate on themes, so I think that there is
> a good chance of success in that area.

I think I heard broader support for a FoE orientation specifically, including from business and TC.  A bit narrower..

> However there was also a
> significant mass of interventions also that favored more techno-
> enthusiast theme ideas.

Not sure what you mean, but enhanced cooperation, principles, and other themes CS has supported were definitely in the mix.

> In trying to put in this way a bit of emphasis on aspects of integrity,
> I felt rather alone; it felt like during these consultations, points on
> the need for integrity were not getting support from anyone else.

Here I really don't know what you mean.  There was two days of robust participation by many people who I believe favor integrity, including your CS colleagues.  In what sense were you a lonely voice in the wilderness for integrity?

Just wondering,

Bill