[governance] Re: [bestbits] PRISM - is it about the territorial location of data or its legal ownership

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 25 07:02:43 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 25 June 2013 04:03 PM, Marie GEORGES wrote:
> dear Parminder,
> In Brackets : for social networks functions, as Eben Moglen showed it,  there is no technical need for "platforms"... we need, as our "friends" only a small electronic thing with those functions and memory big as the plug  to charge of energy a mobile....

Dear Marie, I am a big fan of Moglen's freedom box experiment. However,
it is also my belief that in the networked digital environment, norms/
principles/ frameworks/ policy based initiatives have to work hand in
hand with progressive practices from below. The latter alone are not
going to be enough; such is the, well, networked logic of the networked
environment ... I think the 'progressive techie' has to partially come
out of the stand alone 'open source' mentality and think anew in the
networked digital space, whose logics are quite different. Progressive
politics and progressive grass-root practices have to meld together.
This is the most pressing need for the current times.

regards, parminder