[governance] social media platforms interop specs (was Re: PRISM - is it about the territorial location of data or its legal ownership)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jun 25 06:54:47 EDT 2013

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> On 25-Jun-2013, at 14:55, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
> > Really open mandatory standards, for instance, for inter
> > operability of social media platforms, is one key way to
> > decentralise.... These are the kind of things that I meant by
> > decentralising the Internet's architecture... parminder
> >

> The internet's core architecture is massively decentralized and
> redundant
>
> As for individual applications running on the internet - say social
> networks - you are already able to link say your skype account to
> your yahoo account, or ensure that your posts to facebook are also
> broadcast to twitter, and that you can read all your social media
> posts in a single client.
>
> If that is merely all you want it already appears achieved thanks to
> OAUTH, SAML, JSON and a few other cool 3 and 4 letter acronyms.  But
> they are not "the architecture of the internet"

What I'd be looking for in that space is the ability for anyone to set
up a “social media platform server” so that the people who register for
an account on that server will be able to fully participate in the
interactions of a given, pre-existing social media user community.

In regard to email I can do that: If I want to be able to fully
participate in the exchange of emails with e.g. gmail users, I can
simply set up a mailserver which conforms to the relevant RFCs.

But I cannot similarly join the community of Facebook users without
using the service of Facebook Inc. and agreeing to the TOS that comes
with it: The standardized interoperability interfaces that would be
needed for that don't exist.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person