[governance] Re: [bestbits] PRISM - is it about the territorial location of data or its legal ownership

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jun 25 06:37:28 EDT 2013

Am Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:38:01 +0530
schrieb Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>:

> On 25-Jun-2013, at 15:20, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
>
> > In the context of the title of this thread (“PRISM...”) I was
> > thinking of standards that would have the effect of protecting the
> > privacy of casual communication via the Internet (e.g. by email or
> > “chat”) among a
>
> PGP type encryption of sensitive email
>
> Peer to peer encrypted chat using open source clients like gaim, that
> come with an "off the record messaging" plugin
>
> That still won't quite guard against "metadata" if you use a public
> service that is hosted in the USA, but it will certainly protect the
> contents of your conversation.
>
> You might of course run a jabber chatroom in some more privacy
> sensitive jurisdiction to get like minded people onto it.

I'm aware of all that, it's what one does for particularly sensitive
conversations - those mechanisms are really not designed for making
them adequate to protect the privacy of everyone's casual conversations,
including metadata, as well as possible without interfering with ease
of use.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person