[governance] WisdomTF (was Re: Evidence-based policy-making and impact assessments for Internet-related policies)

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 06:09:08 EDT 2013

Thanks, Norbert, for your clear and informative responses. The goal of
WisdomTF is commendable although (if the experience on this list were to be
of any lesson) the task might be more daunting to reach consensus on what's
good (what works and to what extent) and what's not in terms of policy than
it is with technical standards and IETF. Nonetheless, there might be proven
good experiences, "best practices" and critical lessons learned, and it
will go a long way to have a place, or a couple of them, globally
recognized as places where one can get robust, state-of-the-art information
or knowledge or experience on the critical policy issues of the day.

While I'm at it, it just occurs to me that one of the main challenges will
first be to distinguish the question "what works?" (or "what's good?" in
that sense) from these questions "what's good? what's better? what's best?"
in the normative sense, although the normative dimension is also crucial in
policy-making. I would think whenever relevant, necessary and feasible, the
normative layer should be addressed upfront and set aside. That may be the
case for things that have not been tried anywhere we know of, which might
be rare. But even for those that have already been tried in various
contexts with varying results, one might want to identify those results
that would be worth pursuing, which may be both a normative and a pragmatic
thing. In any case, the monitoring and feedback aspect of this effort will
be crucial as that will be the ultimate sanction to what does work. Just
thinking aloud (or rather with my fingers) before my morning coffee or
substitute thereof.

At any rate, it would be very interesting to see whether the IETF-type of
culture can be created in the policy arena regarding discussion of the
issues and decision-making. I hope you'll soon get that opportunity to keep
this rolling.
Best,

Mawaki