[governance] DNS filtration activated for gambling websites in Bulgaria

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Jun 20 12:07:20 EDT 2013

On 20.06.13 13:59, iliya.bazlyankov at uninet.bg wrote:
> *> From:* Suresh Ramasubramanian
> > There are of course other ways, such as nullrouting IP addresses / CIDRs
> I am aware of 2 ISPs based in Sofia that do this, and the rest choose
> the domain blocking method via DNS.
> @Daniel - I am not aware about the smaller ISPs in Varna for example,
> but all the biggest that have most customer base (more than 50% of
> users) have blocked access to the mentioned websites - Vivacom,
> Globul, Mtel (Megalan+Spectrum Net), Net1, Powernet , etc.
> If the smaller ones have not blocked the access, unfortunately they
> are subject to some very weird fines.

The fines are in the range 5000-15000 EUR.

I am more concerned by the method this filtering is requested: a list of
web sites appears on some "Commission of Gambling" (or whatever their
translation is in English) and all ISPs in Bulgaria (which are in the
hundreds) must implement this filtering within 24 hour, or they are
declared criminals.
Any web site could appear in that list.... for no reasons, because there
is no requirement for this to be documented.

It absolutely does not matter how "big" the ISPs. The ISP I am dealing
with definitely does not focus on having large market share, but instead
on covering the widest possible user base (the whole of Bulgaria) and
other values. There are certainly others like that.

Now imagine there are 10,000 hardcode gamblers in Bulgaria and most of
them are spread with those small ISPs. Some small ISPs might even
specialize in this business, because gambler's requirements to Internet
connectivity are very specific.

Do you know of any ISP that has received this order in writing, as
official document?

Daniel