[governance] RE: Has U.S. started an Internet war? By Bruce Schneier + tinyURL

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 07:46:29 EDT 2013

Daniel,

You seem to have a somewhat odd and certainly not universally shared understanding of the nature and role of ``government`` perhaps reflecting your particular historical experience.

In many (most?) jurisdictions ``government`` is seen as being the operational arm of processes of responsible democratic governance and thus at some level and in some form responding to the will of the citizens as articulated through these democratic processes.

So, insofar as citizens have a right to (self)regulate affairs as might affect them and within certain circumscribed jurisdictional boundaries and within certain formalized procedures then of course, they (and their ``government``) have a ``mandate``to do what you are indicating they have no mandate to do i.e. regulate the actions of their fellow citizens including their actions with respect to the Internet.  (The Internet is a product of the actions and behaviours of persons and not a natural creation such as gravity so your example doesn`t fit.)

That specific governments are not always acting in this representative manner is of course, the subject of daily headlines but most of the actions of those opposing particular governments (Turkey, Brazil etc.) is not to deny this form of accountability but rather to assert that particular governments and their leaders are not appropriately living up to these processes and values.

Whether citizens through their government should or are able to effectively regulate x or y (including the Internet) is of course another issue.