[governance] DNS filtration activated for gambling websites in Bulgaria

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Jun 20 06:04:22 EDT 2013

This is a bit extreme statement.

There are few hundred ISPs operating in Bulgaria and certainly many of
the bigger ISPs have not received such letter and thus not even aware of
the "order".

Also, as already pointed out, such measures are extremely ineffective.
Users do not even need to use Google's or anyone else's name service --
they just need to run their own recursive resolver. Which most of the
non-individual Internet users anyway already do. As do most of the
thousands micro-ISPs that operate "LAN networks" in their neighborhoods.

At the end, this will result in ISPs that implement filtering losing
customers, which will in turn result in the filters being removed.

Situations like this is one of the good examples of abysmal regulation
of Internet, when it comes from Governments. The typical situation is
that well paid, close-to-the-powers-of-the-day "experts" consult on
various Internet regulation topics and we always end up with stupid
situations.
Things like this were already attempted few times to fight torrent
sites, without anyone ever noticing.

By the way, may I ask why facebook.com and others are not being DNS
filtered? There is lots of gambling in there! :)

Daniel