[governance] RE: Has U.S. started an Internet war? By Bruce Schneier + tinyURL

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 17:50:02 EDT 2013

I actually think it may be even more serious than  that...

How long are the various multilateral agreements opening up national markets
to international free trade and contracting going to survive once it is
realized that the surveillance mechanisms which have been put into place
mean that there is at least the potential for US interests to have access to
the entire range of commercial (not to speak of IP) secrets as for example
access to bid documents, assessment criteria, cost analyses etc.etc. in
competitive bidding which are the bedrock of international trade?

One of the documents released pointed to the cosy and mutually supportive
relationships of the NSA with thousands of US private sector companies and
to the 4 million US citizens with Top Secret clearance for information
access.  Could one of those companies (or some of those individuals) be the
company (or an employee of the company) that your non-US company is bidding
against under one of these "free" trade agreements and if so, what is the
point of bidding if the result is already fixed?