[governance] FORMAL CONSENSUS CALL - IGC endorsement: International civil society letter to Congress

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 17 09:33:18 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 15 June 2013 02:49 PM, Baudouin SCHOMBE wrote:
> > I support this statement. After all, no one can pretend to be above
> > the law.
>
> When there is no global law then it is more difficult to say no one
> can be above the law.

I think that international human rights law can reasonably be accepted
as being a legitimate form of global law.

IMO the main problem there is the weakness of the enforcement
mechanisms.

WTO rules and international copyright law have a much lower degree of
legitimacy (especially given how much the world has changed since
those rules were adopted, in ways that at least draw into question the
continued validity of the assumptions on which those rule-making
processes were based) but much stronger enforcement.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person