[governance] a global mesh network in the sky

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 02:59:03 EDT 2013

Feedback from Karatiana (head of an At Large Structure (ALS) in New
Zealand) who attended the event is as follows:

"I attended the event this morning as an individual with an interest in
Internet access.

** **

The event was more of a promotion event for families and the community with
lots of free posters, stickers and photo opportunities (my blog will have
photos later today). There were several marketing staff walking around
interacting with people and two of the engineers from Google X next to a
semi inflated balloon in the plane hangar were answering questions to a
crowd who surrounded them. It was difficult to hear and a long wait to get
close to them. But the questions were generally about the hardware specs,
solar panels and the balloon material.****

** **

In terms of where to next, I was told that other areas of New Zealand would
be used for testing in the near future. There was no definitive answer
about the Pacific Islands that I was able to ascertain today.****

** **

With the exception of the two engineers answering adhoc questions, the rest
of the available information is available on their Google+ page
https://plus.google.com/+ProjectLoon/posts and a section from last night’s
NZ news is here
http://www.3news.co.nz/Googles-internet-beaming-balloons/tabid/412/articleID/301592/Default.aspx
****

** **

Regards,****

Karaitiana Taiuru

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Deirdre Williams <
williams.deirdre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some more information (text) about the balloon project from the BBC.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22905199
> Deirdre
>

> On 15 June 2013 07:05, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While we have been busy navel gazing about the relative evilness of
>> gov vs corporatism, some folks have been busy working on Universal
>> Access methods:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcw6j-QWGMo
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> McTim
>> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A
>> route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

> “The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
> Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala
P.O. Box 17862
Suva