[governance] FW: [Dewayne-Net] "Metadata" Can Tell the Government More About You Than the Content of Your Phonecalls

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:21:07 EDT 2013

Re: the Economist article, as with the ISOC statement the question is, once
having had this insight/knowledge what if anything is one to do... Is one
simply to trust governments/companies/techies with that
knowledge/information or is it possible to establish constaints on how that
information can be used (or collected)?

The argument of course, is that there are currently (US) legal constraints
on the data/information collection but the problem with that is that there
seems to be no effective transparent oversight mechanism concerning the
application of US law and absolutely no protection/oversight or constraint
on what information might be collected from or how it might be used as per
the rest of us.