[governance] A positive right to privacy in the most current version of Brazilian Internet Bill of Rights

Ivar A. M. Hartmann ivarhartmann at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 12:06:36 EDT 2013

Carolina,

Maybe you feel other articles in the current draft of Marco Civil are
better evidence of a positive dimension of the right to privacy. But I
don't see how articles 3, 8 and 10 are an evidence of that.
*These dispositions are all compatible with the understanding of privacy as
a negative right alone*.
That is not to say privacy doesn't have a positive dimension - I believe
all rights have, including free speech. Such isn't the prevalent view in
the US, however. A more clear adoption of the positive dimension by the
Brazilian legislator is therefore in order.
Best regards,
Ivar