[governance] IGC Supports EFF Objection [For Immediate Release]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 07:57:17 EDT 2013

> > The link is fine when I checked. Hope you are able to access it.
>
> I am not....it may be the case that the page was cached in your
> browser from when you were editing?
>
> All I see is the title on that page.
>
> You are right McTim, I did a hard refresh and saw what you were seeing. We
> will try and rectify that asap. In the meantime, this is what it looked
> like:

For Immediate Release

 The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus supports the Electronic
Frontier Foundation concerns regarding DRM in HTML5

 BERN & SUVA June 14 2013 – The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus
adopted a statement this week supporting the formal objection lodged by the
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
regarding the HTML Working Group's charter.

 As explained in the EFF's objection (see link:
https://www.eff.org/pages/drm/w3c-formal-objection-html-wg), the W3C's
Working Group responsible for developing the next version of HTML, a core
technology for the World Wide Web, has published a draft specification
regarding Digital Rights Management (DRM), the Encrypted Media Extensions
(EME) specification. The EFF objection seeks to invalidate the HTML Working
Group's mandate to develop DRM enabling technologies, as specified in the
working group's charter - “supporting playback of protected content”.

 Much has been said about EME, especially since its advancement to *First
Public Working Draft* status in May, 2012. Many worry about its impact on
digital rights, access, fair use, privacy and innovation. Many have
signified their concerns to the W3C, whether through letters, petitions and
discussions, most notably on the various W3C mailing lists supporting
communications of this work. Most recently, the EFF has filed a formal
objection to tell the W3C that DRM has no place in HTML. The Civil Society
Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) wishes to lend its voice to this movement
of protest.

 The IGC believes that the inclusion of digital rights management (DRM) in
HTML5 has the potential to stifle innovation and seriously compromise the
rights of end users (see statement:
http://igcaucus.org/igc-statement-drm-html5).

 The IGC therefore calls on the W3C to stop work on the Encrypted Media
Extensions specification and revise its decision to include this work in
the HTML Working Group charter.

 *About the Internet Governance Caucus*

 The policies that shape the Internet impact not only the development of
the technologies themselves, but also the realization of internationally
agreed human rights, social equity and interdependence, cultural concerns,
and both social and economic development. Our vision is that Internet
governance should be inclusive, people centered and development oriented.
Our contributions to the various forums relevant to Internet governance,
will strive to ensure an information society which better enables equal
opportunity and freedom for all.

 Ends

 Source : Norbert Bollow & Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro

Internet Governance Caucus

http://igcaucus.org/
coordinators at igcaucus.org

> --