[governance] Why HTML5 #DRM is dangerous for Free Software (was Draft Statement...)

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 23:19:44 EDT 2013

In the context of Disney movies - assuming "purchased" and not "pirated" -
wouldnt the purchaser already be exposing their identity for the purchase
validation process?

Further DRM as a part of the standard would mean that browsers that work on
*nix platforms would also support the standard (for example this list here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers_for_Unix_and_Unix-like_operating_systems)...
In fact most browsers would sooner or later have built in support for DRM
just in the process of following the standard. Thus people using an open
source platform (using Linux as an example) would easily be able to make
the purchase, as well as watch the movie both using freely available (OS +
Browser + Movie Player).

Now I'm not supporting DRM, but this particular argument I feel cannot be
substantiated.

-C